Care of the Self and the Development of the Moral Resources as a Foundation to Peacebuilding
Dale Snauwaert, Associate Professor, Department of Educational Foundations and Leadership, The University of Toledo
This lecture was presented at National Peace Academy’s 2011 Peacebuilding Peacelearning Intensive in Burlington, Vermont. Dale Snauwaert shared the idea of right relationship with one’s self as an essential mode of peace learning, which is foundational to peacebuilding. The basic assumption of the presentation was that peacebuilding requires not only the transformation of social structures but also the transformation of consciousness. ”Unilateral internal disarmament” is necessary for both inner and outer peace. Peacebuilding requires a “being orientation” to self-identity, which both implies and requires respect and care for the self, and the development of internal moral resources, including the capacity for critical self-reflection and transformation.
*Note for those who are pursuing the adult self-study guide of NPA’s free online curriculum “Peace, Peacebuilding, Peacelearning: A Holistic Introduction:”
- For lesson 2 (personal peace 1): please focus on the first half of the lecture, 0:00 to 27:15
- For lesson 3 (personal peace 2): please focus on the second half of the lecture, 27:15 to the end
Self-transformation, inner peace, peacebuilding, being orientation, self-reflection, inner exploration, right relationship with self, care of the self, moral resources
Knowledge-based Learning Objectives:
- Knowledge of a being orientation distinct from a having orientation
- Knowledge of methods of self-reflection and transformation
- Understanding of the relationship between inner and outer peace
Skill-based Learning Objectives:
- Multi-perspective taking
- Critical thinking
References and Recommended Resources:
- Almaas, A. H. 1986. Essence: The Diamond Approach to Inner Realization. York Beach, Maine: Samuel Weiser, Inc.
- ———. 1986. The Void: Inner Spaciousness and Ego Structure. Berkeley,CA: Diamond Books.
- Arendt, Hannah. 1971. The Life of the Mind. Vol. one volume edition. New York: Harcourt.
- ———. 1992. Lectures on Kant’s Political Philosophy. In Hannah Arendt Lectures on Kant’s Political Philosophy, edited by R. Beiner. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- ———. 1994. Eichmann In Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil. New York: Penguin Books.
- Arendt, Hannah, and Jerome Kohn. 2003. Responsibility and judgment. 1st ed. New York: Schocken Books.
- Aristotle. 1965. Nicomachean Ethics. Translated by J. A. K. Thomson. Baltimore: Penguin Books.
- Aurobindo, Sri. 2001. A Greater Psychology: An Introduction to the Psychological Thought of Sri Aurobindo. Edited by A. S. Dalal. New York: Jeremy P. Tarcher/Putnam.
- Batchelor, Stephen. 1983. Alone With Others: An Existential Approach to Buddhism. New York: Grove Press. Buber, Martin. 1965. Between Man and Man. New York: Collier.
- ———. 1970. I and Thou. Translated by W. Kaufman. New York: Scribners.
- Dalai-Lama. 1999. Ethics for the New Millennium. New York: Riverhead Books.
- ———. 2000. Dzogchen : the heart essence of the great perfection : Dzogchen teachings given in the West. Ithaca, NY: Snow Lion Publications.
- Fornari, Franco. 1975. The Psychoanalysis of War. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Foucault, Michel, Frâedâeric Gros, Franðcois Ewald, and Alessandro Fontana. 2005. The hermeneutics of the subject : lectures at the Colláege de France, 1981-1982. 1st ed. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Fromm, Erich. 1947. Man for Himself: An Inquiry Into the Psychology of Ethics. New York: Rinehart and Company
- ———. 1976. To Have or To Be? New York: Continuum. Original edition, 1976.
- ———. 1992. The Art of Being. New York: Continuum.
- ———. 1995. The Essential Fromm: Life Between Having and Being. Edited by R. Funk. New York: Continuum.
- Greene, Maxine. 1978. Landscapes of Learning. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Hadot, Pierre. 2002. What is ancient philosophy? Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- Hadot, Pierre, and Arnold Ira Davidson. 1995. Philosophy as a way of life : spiritual exercises from Socrates to Foucault. New York: Blackwell.
- Hadot, Pierre, and Aurelius Marcus. 1998. The inner citadel : the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- Hanh, Thich Nhat. 1987. Being peace. Berkeley, Calif.: Parallax Press.
- ———. 1995. Zen keys. New York: Doubleday.
- Inayat Khan, Hazrat. 1996. The Alchemy of Happiness. London: East-West Publication.
- Irving, William B. 2009. A guide to the good life: the ancient art of stoic joy. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Iyer, Raghavan.  1983. The Moral and Political Thought of Mahatma Gandhi. Second Edition ed. New York: Concord Grove Press. Original edition, Oxford University Press.
- Merton, Thomas (selected by Christine M. Bochin). 2000. Thomas Merton: Essential Writings, Modern Spiritual Masters Series. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books.
- Norbu, Chogyal Namkhai. 1996. Dzogchen: The Self-Perfected State. Ithaca, NY: Snow Lion Publications.
- Reardon, Betty A. 1996. Sexism and the War System. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press.
- Schuon, Frithjof. 1975. The transcendent unity of religions. Rev. ed. New York: Harper & Row.
- Sen, Amartya. 2009. The idea of justice. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Snauwaert, Dale T. The ethics and ontology of cosmopolitanism: Education for a shared humanity, Current Issues in Comparative Education Vol 12(2009): 14-22.
- ________. Human rights and cosmopolitan democratic education, Philosophical Studies in Education, 40 (2009):94-103 http://www.ovpes.org/2009.htm.
- ________. The moral & spiritual foundations of peace education, in The Encyclopedia of Peace Education, ed. Monisha Baja (Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, 2008).
- ________. The cosmopolitan ethics of the earth charter: A framework for a pedagogy of peace, In Factis Pax: Online Journal of Peace Education and Social Justice 2, no. 1 (2008): 88-130 http://www.infactispax.org/journal/.
- Thurman, Robert A. F. 1998. Inner revolution : life, liberty, and the pursuit of real happiness. New York: Riverhead Books.
- ———. 2004. Infinite life : seven virtues for living well. New York: Riverhead Books.