- Ph.D., systems science (1972, from Michigan State University), followed by a 34-year technical career in systems analysis and simulation modeling for international agricultural development planning (15 years) and air transportation (19 years), including program, project, and line management with teams of diverse disciplinary, cultural, and language backgrounds
- Dissertation on the simulation modeling of the tree crop economy of southern Nigeria
- 12 years research staff and faculty at Michigan State University, including 3½
years in residence in South Korea on a USAID/MSU project with the Ministry of
Agriculture and Fisheries
- 3 years managing sole proprietorship consulting business
- 19 years staff, program manager, program director, and vice-president of a contract systems engineering and analysis firm
- Project manager/principal investigator on contract work with U.S. Government
agencies: USAID, USDA, DOD, NASA
- At the National Peace Academy, staff (2009-March 2011) and board of directors (April 2011-present): founding, design, and development of the organization, strategic planning, development and coordination of educational program, public speaking and networking
- At the Foundation for Global Community (2000-2005): design and facilitation of courses,
workshops, conferences; networking and outreach for social and cultural transformation
and peacebuilding, including a program for the 2004 Parliament of the World’s Religions
in Barcelona; courses related to personal and cultural transformation and sustainability; and
vocational training in Afghanistan
- 2 years (1966-1968) as Peace Corps Volunteer in Nigeria, teaching high school French and
- 7 years studying and working while in residence on three continents overseas (France,
- Experience working effectively with people, programs, and public agencies at the
international, national, and local levels – in the U.S., Canada, Africa, Asia, Latin America,
- 14 years as volunteer and paid staff of nonprofits, including:
- Education and Corporate Affairs Coordinator at the National Peace Academy
- Director of Operations at Peace Partnership International
- Special Projects Coordinator for The Peace Alliance and its Campaign for a U.S. Department of Peace
- Program Director at Foundation for Global Community
- 12 years as volunteer on boards of directors and serving as corporate officer of nonprofits:
- National Peace Academy – since April 2011, also secretary-treasurer
- Hospital auxiliary – 2 years, including 1 year as treasurer
- Adult day care services – 6 years, including 1 year as president
- Homeowners association – 4 years, including 2 years as president
- 9 years on a town planning commission – 1 year as chairman
- Thomas Berry, The Great Work: Our Way into the Future, Bell Tower, 1999.
- Peter Block, Community: The Structure of Belonging, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2009.
- Eknath Easwaran, Nonviolent Soldier of Islam: Badshah Khan, A Man to Match His Mountains, Nilgiri Press, 1999.
- Bruce H. Lipton and Steve Bhaerman, Spontaneous Evolution: Our Positive Future and a Way to Get There from Here, Hay House, 2010.
- William McDonough and Michael Braungart, Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things, North Point Press, 2002.
- Bill McKibben, Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future, Holt Paperbacks, 2007.
- Donella Meadows, “Leverage Points: Places to Intervene in a System,” Sustainability Institute, December 1999.
- Michael N. Nagler, Is There No Other Way? The Search for a Nonviolent Future, Berkeley Hills Books, 2001.
- Jeremy Rifkin, The Empathic Civilization: The Race to Global Consciousness in a World in Crisis, Jeremy P. Tarcher/Penguin, 2009.
- Paul van Tongeren et al., eds., People Building Peace II: Successful Stories of Civil Society, Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2005.
- Robert Wright, Nonzero: The Logic of Human Destiny, Vintage Books, 2000.